Thursday 23 August 2012

Broody Brooke


I have been trying to be in bed by 9pm each night this week. I am just so very tired but then I don’t think the weather at the moment helps, grey and dreary. 9pm really doesn’t give much time between putting the kids to bed at 7-7.30 and getting into bed J But I do feel better in the morning.

Broody Brooke

We have borrowed a broody chook to try and hatch some eggs for the kids to watch them grow up. Problem is though that she now isn’t broody, funny chook.
I got this cage and Aj put a tin end on it and cage wire swing door at the front. It can be seen from the dining room window. She may go broody again and I was told to put her in with my others but she is left the big chook house and came and sat in the back on the cage. I’m thinking I’ll let her be for a bit and see what happens. She joins the other chooks of a day but doesn’t seem to want to stay with them at night.
 

I am starting to think about breeding some chooks. I would like to be able to give some to family etc for presents, and to up our own crew or more eggs.

I need four separate areas to get the best out of my chicks and to prevent sickness from adult chooks.
Incubator
Under heat lamp
Without heat lamp
Pullets – pre layers area outside away from other adult chooks

I may use the broody chook cage for putting the rooster and hen(s) in for collecting fertile eggs.
Thinking of using part of the shed for the 1-3 and if all goes to plan and I get some chook houses in the steers paddocks then the current chook house/yard will be for the pullets. All of this may be a while off yet though. Don’t stress out just yet Aj ;)

I made a quiche or egg pie tonight. Check out the yellow colour, that is fresh organic eggs for you.



1 comment:

  1. I'm sending you some of our sun shine, and wind we don't need anymore.

    Have a great week end.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete